Sunday 20 November 2011

the joys and pitfalls of Christmas markets

Oh, it's a difficult old business, selecting which craft fairs and markets to attend with one's handmade wares. I tend to pick a few I hear about through other makers and give them a go. This can go one of two ways:

1. Successful: sell some pieces, give out some business cards to people who like the jewellery, cover my costs and a bit more

or

2. Stand for 5 hours in a virtually deserted hall emitting increasing waves of desperation as three old ladies and a toddler wander around, until I want to leave and weep into a plate of chips at the nearest pub.

There is no way of knowing which of the above experiences will play out, one can only turn up with one's best intentions, enthusiasm and a smile and hope for the best. During a particularly dire Saturday event recently my mum and I brainstormed a few possible techniques for attracting customers even in tumbleweed-quiet circumstances:

- drawing attention to one's stall by performing a spontaneous and vigorous dance
- using a lasso to 'encourage' visitors to view the stall
- intimidation and swearing.

Not having personally tested them, I wouldn't recommend any of the above techniques, but it's something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, I have personally been in both positions so will bear your brainstorming session in mine for next time!

    I just started following you after seeing a link on Craft Blog UK FB page this morning, looking forward to reading more of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete